Best Things December 2009
Second, and maybe most important, it’ll force me to focus on the positive when I get head-down into work on my doctorate and things seem to be too much. I don’t know that the lists will be very long, but that doesn’t matter.
It’s similar to what I tell my student teachers to try: each night, no matter what, write down three things you tried, did well, made you feel good. These can be as small as sharing smiles with a kid with whom you’ve never really connected, to teaching a class where the kids groan when the bell sounds. I find this helps keep self-criticism away. 🙂 Plus, doing this also fosters awareness of the issue of keeping a balance between teaching and other aspects of life. There’s nothing like practicing what you preach, I always say.
Finally, it’ll be fun.
Here’s the list for December.
- Got back to the gym on a regular basis.
- Started an online private journal on Penzu.
- Got a new lamp for my desk.
- Cleaned out files of stuff and made space to organize current files.
- Submitted a proposal to present at my first academic conference and was accepted.
The Penzu journal has been the biggest surprise. I started it as an experiment and now find I look forward to it each day.
Things I look forward to in January:
- The gym
- Learning to use Photoshop
- Streamlining & focusing my participation in social networks
- Diving into doc reading for exam #2
- Taking a risk & trying something really different in my second semester class.
I guess I just created a new form of New Year’s resolutions. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.